Being in the business of gardening is good. In fact, one great way to save money on groceries is to grow your products.
Whether you’re a garden lover, or you want to go into the business of cultivating farm products to sell at a farmer’s market, or maybe you’re trying to save money on groceries; whatever the reason it is, making a home garden is a good idea. It is an ideal hobby for stay at home moms, trying to get rid of boredom.
Starting a home garden is not as easy as it sounds, especially for beginners who have no experience in farming.
There are certain things you must do, things to put in place and to consider when you want to start a garden at home.
Making a pleasant garden at home will determine the quality of your farm produce; that is why I will give you steps on how to make an excellent garden at home, to maximize the variety of your farm produces.
Before we delve into things to do before you start a home garden, how about, I tell you about some of the benefits of home gardening.
- 1 Benefits of home gardening
- 2 Here are some things to consider when starting up a home garden
- 3 Here are some of our favorite homemade garden beds
- 3.1 Veg Trugs Novelty Raised Garden Size: Medium
- 3.2 Metal Raised Garden Bed Kit – Elevated Planter Box
- 3.3 CedarCraft Cascading Garden Planter – 3 Tier Vertical Garden
- 3.4 Frame It All 1″ Series 8′ x 8′ x 11″ Composite Raised Garden Bed Kit
- 3.5 Giantex Wooden Raised Vegetable Garden Bed Elevated Planter Kit
- 3.6 Outland Living 6-Ft Vertical Garden Freestanding Raised Elevated Bed Planter
- 3.7 Worth Garden SELF WATERING TECHNOLOGY VERTICAL Wall Hangers with Pots
- 4 Final words
Benefits of home gardening
- Home gardening is a versatile volition; you can do it either as a hobby or for-profits, your choice. You need not have the most significant or biggest yard to start a home garden; all you need is a small portion of land, and you can plant whatever you want, plus you don’t have to spend so much on fertilizers.
- Did you know that gardening helps with relieving stress, and reduces your chances of a heart attack? You find so much solace in digging the dirt and watching your vegetables grow. You even have a sense of accomplishment, that you can see something through and that it is also beneficial to others.
- Home gardening is a great way to get the family together. It is a family activity. Home gardening makes you spend quality time with your family. And nothing screams love for the family than spending time with one another. You also have so much fun together as a family; it could be a family hobby; something you all have in common, something to tie the family bond with. Home gardening even saves you a ton on family trips and holidays. The entire family can stay at home and have fun-filled summer vacation in the yard.
- The fact that home gardening saves a lot of money cannot be overemphasized. It is an excellent budget cutter. Rather than buy groceries worth $200-$300, you can spend as little as $50 on your fertilizers and seeds, and reap a harvest worth $1250. Now that is an overflow in profit, don’t you think? So why not save money on vegetables by actually cultivating them yourself. Get tomato seed, green pepper, garden eggs, and other veggies and fruits you want to save money on. You can also save a lot of money on the kind of vegetables you want to cultivate. Carrots, potatoes, winter squash, onion, etc. are all examples of cold weather vegetables. You can grow these crops and store up for a long while. Tomatoes and peppers, on the other hand, perish fast, cultivate them in little amounts.
- Another benefit of home gardens is the organic, green and fresh product you have as opposed to the chemically stored products.
Here are some things to consider when starting up a home garden
Begin looking for a location with access to sufficient sunlight.
Different fruits have the different adaptive ability, regarding direct exposure to the sun. Some vegetables and fruits need at least five (5) hours under direct sunlight daily for proper growth, especially in crops are fruiting crops. Regular root veggies like carrots and onions, and herbs as well, need some shade; they can only grow this way.
The location also matters when you consider the watering, caring and picking of the crop. If you don’t see the plants regularly, you might forget about it; so make a home garden someplace you can easily see and access.
Wildlife creatures also come to mind when looking for the perfect location. Ensure your home garden is not located where there are plants eating rodents, like squirrels and chipmunks. Also, watch out for the crows.
Select the kinds of crops you want to plant.
Getting the right kind of crops helps your area of focus when you want to start a home garden. If you do want a crop, then don’t cultivate it. Select what you want to eat and plant. Do not plant everything. The Herbs and vegetables that are enjoyed by your families are what you should be cultivating.
As much as possible, also try to find out what kind of crops grow well in your area or state, it will help to narrow down your options.
Plan the type of garden beds you want.
Getting the exact kind of bed for the type of crops you want to cultivate is sacrosanct. After you figure out a location, this step comes in. The raised bed is attractive, plus it helps you access your garden beds easily. The downside to raised beds is that they also easily dry out after watering; this frequent drying can pose a problem in drylands.
A standard bed size should be at least 3-4 feet in width; it is narrow so you can quickly reach the middle of the bed from both sides. The rough estimate of the length of the bed is 10fts; it could be less but not more. Block beds are also preferable to single row beds.
There are several kinds of beds for several crops.
We have the vertical garden beds, for crops like tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, peas, beans. etc
The keyhole beds are for root vegetables (though not exclusively) They are round, and they have only a single walkway to the middle of the bed.
Herb spiral beds make a good design for porches and yard. You can plants colorful flower to increase aesthetics in your yard.
Get the basic garden tools
It is said that getting the right garden tools makes the job more fun; I said so. But there is something about investing in the right tools, it make the work enjoyable, you don’t see gardening as a tedious task, you see it as fun and pleasurable. Some of the tools includes;
- The Garden Hoe
- The Garden Shovel or the D handle Shovel
- The Leaf Rake
- The Scuffle hoe
- The Dirt rake; and other hand tools
These are just a few of the tools you need, but getting a full list of the requisite tools will help you know your tools because getting the right kind of tools saves time.
Test the soil to know what kind of crops can grow
Knowing whether the soil is acidic or has a natural PH, or whether it has alkaline will save you a lot of trouble, time, and money.
Also, consider the topography of the soil, is it clay or loamy? Sandy or Rocky? Is there a factory spillage that may contaminate the soil. What amount of essential nutrient is in the ground.
If you want organic and nutritious farm produce, you have to know the kind of crops that grow on your soil; it also saves you a lot of money trying to salvage the crops you planted on the wrong dirt.
Build and Enrich your soil
Building your soil is crucial if you want your plant to grow fast. You can start with sod, but you’ll need to cut it into small chunks, or you could just put it under a wet newspaper to ground. And then you put your soil on top of it, (if you’re thinking about making your bed). Preparing the beds in fall is preferable, but that shouldn’t stop you to start in spring.
The reason you need to improve the soil is that some plants like fertile soil, that is well-drained, deep and has a rich organic matter. Appreciating healthy and good soil will become more visible when you start a new garden.
Other components that add to the overall richness of the soil include;
- Purchased or home-made compost.
- Getting earthworm casting also helps the soil
- Discomposed leaves, mulch the leaves or till the leaves into the dirt.
- Also remember to transport seedlings to another, permanent beds. Water the beds regularly and adequately. Too much water may spoil the crops.
- Always weed out the bed regularly so the crops can have space to breed and grow.When your crops are mature, you can then enjoy your harvest.
Here are some of our favorite homemade garden beds
Veg Trugs Novelty Raised Garden Size: Medium
This garden trug is a prominent British model vessel you can use to grow crops. Because of its size, the trug hands on six (6) legs and so it can carry the weight if the bowl for the soil, the soil itself, and the crops on it.
It is a British model trug, perfect for household use, especially if you’re planning to do a small garden; from harvest to the plate, kind of garden. You can get more of these trugs if you want a more significant and plenty produce.
This British trug is one of the first wooden trugs on the market and can conveniently hold up to 20 and more grown crops.
It’s 70″ x 30″ structural build up accounts for its structural integrity. It is very sturdy and cannot easily be shaken.
The wood is adequately seasoned, and that also accounts for its durable nature; water can’t quickly make the wood rot.
- It is a vegetable trug. Almost all kinds of plants can be cultivated on it, making it a very versatile trug.
- It is wooden. Thanks to the wood integrity, the VegTrug novelty can hold water for a long time, without rotting.
- Can hold more than 20 grown and mature crops
- Has a strong structural integrity
- Not easily rotted by water.
Metal Raised Garden Bed Kit – Elevated Planter Box
Sometimes it is better to let things maintain their natural state. Rather than get a hanging bed, why not get one that is on the ground. It is stationary, plus you don’t have to worry about how many mature crops it can hold.
The metal raised garden bed kit is a garden bed on the ground. If you’re planning on making the bed on your porch or by the yard, you don’t have to worry about boundaries; this garden bed holds all the soil in place.
You can raise the beds with the metal raisers (as the name implies), to make the bed seem fuller.
- The length is 46 inches, the width, 35, and the height, 12-inches. The bed is in perfect shape to plant the requisite amount of crop for family consumption. It is also suitable for persons who make gardening a hobby.
- A metal construction that can hold up to 11-cu ft soil, this space gives the crop space for their roots to shoot out.
- You can quickly assemble the box without tools.
- Can grow all kind of plants; herbs veggies, succulents, and even strawberries, and a whole variety of plants.
- Can hold up to 313-liters of soil
- A long enough height for root to freely shootout.
- A durable metal box to hold it the dirt.
- You don’t need tools to assemble.
- Can plant any crop.
CedarCraft Cascading Garden Planter – 3 Tier Vertical Garden
What’s unique about the cascading garden planter? I tell you what is; the three-tier planter. This planter is one of the most efficient, in spacious accommodation. The three tiers afford you the opportunity to plant a variety of crops on it, rather than to monopolize the products you get from your planter.
My favorite thing about this planter is that it is also space friendly; you can keep it on your porch, balcony, patio, or even as a backyard garden.
You need no tool to assemble this planter, making it rather easy to assemble.
Because it has a vertical design, you can conveniently move around the box without needing to worry about stepping on the bed, saves you a lot of space too.
The tiers are considerably far from the ground; this saves your crops from rabbits, pets, gophers, and other rodents.
- It has a limited space design, which makes it stunning and unique. An eye-catching design which adds beauty to your patio, balcony, deck or yard
- The model is vertically tiered, making you have enough foot space, within the space limit, plus you have a variety of options to plant.
- There is no need for tools when you’re assembling this planter. It is easy to construct when you follow the instructions.
- Three tier planters
- Can fit into limited space
- A comfortable square footage.
- It is durable
- A high enough height to prevent pests.
Frame It All 1″ Series 8′ x 8′ x 11″ Composite Raised Garden Bed Kit
For everyone looking for a hobby in farming, then you have to try the frame it all garden bed.
One thing is sure; this bed planter is a huge one; so enormous that it can comfortably pack in more the 20 grown crops. With so much space, you can neatly and adequately arrange all your plants; flowers, vegetables and herbs alike.
With up to 11 inch in depth, this bed gives the roots enough room to grow, whether it be fruits, veggies or even root crops like carrots.
It is a 63-64 square feet diameter bed and a 16″ x 16″ (W & L) diameter bed, and the bed is raised 5.5″ inches above the ground. Calculating
This garden planter is one of a kind. There is an insulating board trap that provides open-channel insulation to the plants, which retains the warmth in the soil all through fall and winter.
This planter has an anchored bracket that helps to hold the plants in place, from winds and human knock over
- Durable wood that cannot rot or fade.
- 64 square feet for planting. This space is ample, and you can plant a whole variety of products
- It creates a unique designs thanks to the 270-degree pivot brackets.
- It has a Five-year warranty
- Installation is easy, with simple tools like a mallet or hammer and a screwdriver.
- The boards are eco-friendly; 38% already used consumer plastic that is recycled, and you can cut this board with your hands if you don’t have a power saw.
- Integrity in structure
- Eco-friendly boards
- It has a five-year warranty
- Durable non-rotting wood
- Enough space to work with.
Giantex Wooden Raised Vegetable Garden Bed Elevated Planter Kit
This planter is also a double wonder. It Is an excellent Wooden and 3 Tiers Vegetable Bed. It is also a 4’ X 4’ vegetable bed that is idle for cultivating both flowers and vegetables, including fruits. The 3 tier is a stair design, which gives you the liberty to plant different crops on the different levels. Each layer is higher than the other by just 7 inches; this spacing provides plants enough room to grow well. The wood construction is solid, and this elongates the time the vegetables will serve you. You can use the bed on lawns patios or backyard.
- This product is a New product of High Quality, meaning it is a step up from the other similar product.
- With three section, it is idle for planting a whole mix of vegetables, flowers herbs, fruits e.t.c
- The basic construction of the wood is solid, serving you for a long while.
- Easy to assemble
- Three tiers to plants variety of crops
- Has a strong structural integrity
- New and improved
Outland Living 6-Ft Vertical Garden Freestanding Raised Elevated Bed Planter
Are you looking for a planter that maximizes space, yet gives you enough room to plant your plants, then the Outland living vertical garden planter is just what you need.
This plastic planter is what you need to start up a home garden. And what’s even better is that you can use it on your balcony, patio, porch or even your yard or greenhouse.
This garden planter is also a four-tier planter that gives you a lot of space to plant what you want on all four tiers.
With at least 6 inches between each other, you can plant root crops and flowers on each of them.
- The design of this planter is both functional and stylish, making your patio look like a lovely greenhouse. Its design has received an international award, for perfectly compliments your outdoor space. Plus you can show off to family members and guest when they come visiting.
- A blend of quality and durability. The strength of this planter is something, and the durability is just impressive, with low maintenance, as well as a resistant to heat. Its material is a high-density polyethylene with an ultraviolet light treatment; this also makes it conducive to all kinds of weather.
- The dimensions of the planter is; length 44-inches, width 32-inches and height 23-inches. A 3-ft water hose that is pre-attached to the vertical garden and the code comes with a regulator to control the water speed.
- Each tier of the vertical garden planter has a water drainage system that drains out the excess water.
- Four vertical tiers to plants various flowers
- The design has international recognition
- A drainage system to remove excess water
- Ample foot around the vertical garden
- It economizes space
Worth Garden SELF WATERING TECHNOLOGY VERTICAL Wall Hangers with Pots
With this self-watering garden, you can maximize minimal space for gardening. It is the perfect wall plant.
The vertical wall planter has twelve pots with three different pockets where you can cultivate different kinds of crops or a variety of flower to bring out its collective beauty. Calculating the total numbers of pockets will amount to 32 pockets, to plant 32 kinds of crops and flowers.
The 9 feet hose is long enough to reach all pots for any angle, plus it’s an automatic hose, that is activated when you open the connected tap. Using the automatic tube ensures that your plants are adequately hydrated, and not overly watered.
- The distinguishing factor of this vertical planter is the self-watering feature, reset to water the plant with adequate water.
- It is a secure garden to assemble, all that you need are some few tools, for connecting the water.
- Not only is the vertical garden durable, but it’s also quality is off the charts.
- You can use the vertical self-watering garden both inside and outside.
- As a wall planter, it doesn’t carry or require much space; just lay it by the wall or by your fence, and you’re going to go.
- Self-watering garden
- Space convenient
- Multiple pockets for various plant
- Durable and strong
- High-quality garden.
Follow these steps on how to start your home garden, and you’ll have nothing to worry about. Have fun making gardening your hobby. Who knows, you may even start making money from it.